Are you suffering from sleep apnea? Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder characterized by irregular breathing patterns while you sleep. Do you know if yours is central sleep apnea or obstructive sleep apnea? Central sleep apnea is the process in which brain signals that facilitate breathing are broken or disrupted. Obstructive sleep apnea is the process of having a blocked or obstructed breathing airway.
Listed below are some causes and risk factors for sleep apnea:
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at an amplified risk for sleep apnea.
– Genetics can play a huge role in the presence or advancement of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Males are often at the huge risk for sleep apnea.
– Various genetic tendencies can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
– Oral health disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is relatively common in individuals who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar forms of nasal blockage or obstructions.
If you would like a sleep apnea treatment from Dr. Stephen Henry DDS at our dentist office in Foster City, California, please contact us at 650-341-5656. Dr. Stephen Henry and the rest of our team will ensure you get the healthy smile you desire.